Sunday, September 30, 2007

Day 10: 3 items, THE FINALE

I brought a delicious pear tart from Market Hall to Mea & Jerry's Honey Harvest party and had to bring home the foil-covered cardboard underneath it. I did peel the foil off the cardboard and put the soiled cardboard into our green compost bin.

So, that's it for my 10-day trash challenge. In all, 3.0 ounces of non-recyclable, non-compostable trash. The plastic pieces will be added to my weekly plastic tally and then rest in plastic limbo. The rest of it goes into the garbage bin.

Here's the collection:

  1. 12 Refresh Endura eye drop containers

  2. 10 Efferdent wrappers

  3. 1 ball of dryer lint

  4. 1 HP printer cartridge package

  5. 1 Safeway Organics cheddar cheese wrapper

  6. 1 Act fluoride rinse bottle cap

  7. 1 Act fluoride rinse neck wrapper

  8. 1 Rosenblum Cellars plastic wine cork

  9. 1 black plastic Just Desserts cake container bottom

  10. 1 gold-painted cardboard cake bottom

  11. 1 gold foil pear tart bottom

  12. 1 piece of brown packing tape
You can listen to my interview with Tess Vigeland, as well as the segment that aired on Friday here.
 

5 Comments:

At October 7, 2007 at 9:34 AM , Blogger Jeanne said...

Wow! I'm really impressed. I would really love to do this trash challenge, but I don't compost right now so I don't think it would work for me. Also, I'm just getting into not buying products packaged in plastic, and I'm still using the things that I bought before I started so I would definitely have lots of things that would end up in the bag. Could get kind of defeating...

 
At February 1, 2008 at 5:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are very brave to do such a challenge. I started reading Garbageland the other day. Interesting so far. It is amazing how much trash people make and think nothing of it. We have gotten our trash weight down to about 2#/week for our family of 4. Too much stuff comes in plastic and there is no option except to do without. I won't do without cheese though. I have given up most of the processed foods I used to eat.
I'm working on reducing waste and started blogging about it not long ago.
Cindy in FL

 
At November 16, 2008 at 6:02 PM , Blogger Nightfall said...

Why isn't the dryer lint compostable? Do you have a lot of synthetic clothing? Something to think about...

 
At November 16, 2008 at 7:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nightfall. That's right. The lint is not compostable because my husband and I wore a lot of synthetic athletic wear at that time.

 
At April 17, 2011 at 7:28 PM , Anonymous Waste King Gourmet ss3300 said...

Keep it up I am on your side I am also into maintaining our nature in my simple way of using garbage disposal which I decided to bought because I guess I can manage my waste through this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home